I spent $57.92 on all the items that I purchased to make our Thanksgiving dinner this year. There are 6 of us eating with leftovers planned through Sunday, I hope! I overspent on a few items, like the cider and whipped cream, but overall I know I spent less than previous years.
A Quick Question or 3...
- How much did you spend?
- How many people are you feeding?
- Do you feel like you overspent?
How I got my final total: I used the total price paid at the store for each item that is listed below, except for the apples. Since I always shop for apples, the price below reflects only the apples used. The "P" next to the price indicates those items that I will use a portion of for the dinner and can be used for another meal, not including left overs, in the future.
- Mashed Potatoes
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Carrots
- Sparkling Cider & Hot Cocoa
- Apple Pie w/ Whipped Cream
AldiHere is what I picked up on Friday, November 16!
Whole Foods MarketHere is what I picked up on Sunday, November 18!
AldiHere is what I picked up on Monday, November 19!
ShopRiteHere is what I picked up on Monday, November 19!
|Whole Foods Market||Hot Cocoa||$3.99 (P)|
|Whole Foods Market||Stuffing Mix||$3.49|
|Aldi||Cream Cheese||$0.69 (P)|
|ShopRite||Onion Salt||$0.99 (P)|
|ShopRite||Sweet Potatoes||$1.99 (P)|
|Local Apple Orchard||Apples||$2.18|
How I plan to use those items with a 'P'
- Hot Cocoa: My kids will drink this up before Christmas. So, I'll need to add that to the Christmas grocery list.
- Cream Cheese: My children like to put cream cheese on their cinnamon toast.
- Celery: I plan to make soup next week. In the past, my celery tends to go bad because I forget to use it up.
- Carrots: I can use this in soups or for beef stew.
- Limes: I can use these in black beans, tacos, etc.
- Sugar: This will be used for the everyday baking I do. So, again, this will be on the Christmas grocery list.
- Potatoes: I purchased the 10 lb. bag, so plenty of extra for soup, stews, etc..
- Sausage: There will be 3 or 4 links leftover from the stuffing. I can use those for a meat sauce or pasta.
- Spices: I purchased 3 spices that I didn't have in my cupboard. Those can be used in other recipes throughout the year.
- Sweet Potatoes: The extras can be used for a sweet potato fries!